Monday, March 10, 2008

Time, Memory, Representation



Click to Enlarge, 1024 x 4400


Sunday from 9:30 to 3:30 I tried to pay particular attention to the time, documenting it in 3 ways. It's been a year and a half since I have taken pictures. This is in part because I am curious how people are affected by the act of photo taking and how much this dominates their memory of things (does our memory become mechanized). I think this is critical find more flexible ways to show how we perceive representation of time from a more holistic standpoint.

From top to Bottom in the Collage you can see the Progression from (1)Memory to (2)Documentation to (3)Visualization of Time.

1) Memory, Pre-Photo Review - What do we remember before we allow our photo taking to structure our memory? I jotted down everything I could remember on the bus ride just after the 6 hour period elapsed.
2) Documentation, Photo Review Process - (see middle section above) - How different is the feeling of the story without the spacial and undocumented aspects of memory, feelings, ideas, mental models.
3) Visualization, Post Memory Collage. I tried to imagine if you could reorganize the layout of a photo show to emphasize the subjective emphasis or as roland barths would say - the "puntum" in the image sequences.

No comments: